The holidays are a time when family and friends come together to enjoy festive fun and good company. And when it comes to Christmas activities, Lake Hartwell has no shortage of holiday events for you to enjoy.
To make sure you don’t miss out on any of the fun, we have created the Ultimate Christmas Bucket List for Lake Hartwell. Take a look at these merry activities and make a plan to cross them all off your bucket list!
Cheer Floats At A Christmas parade
First up on the list is hitting up a Christmas parade. With homemade floats, Christmas lights, and candy, these festive parades are sure to get you in the Christmas spirit!
- Lavonia Christmas Parade | Lavonia, Ga | December 5th at 3pm
- Elberton Christmas Parade | Elberton, Ga | December 5th at 4pm
- Anderson Christmas Parade | Anderson, SC | December 5th at 3pm
- Clemson Christmas Parade | Clemson, SC | December 7th at 5pm
- Hartwell Christmas Parade | Hartwell, Ga | December 12th at 4pm
See Amazing Christmas Light Displays
Going to see Christmas lights is a pretty ubiquitous family tradition. And there are many places you can go around Lake Hartwell to take in a spectacular holiday light show. Don’t miss these amazing holiday light displays!
- Garden Lights, Holiday Nights at Atlanta Botanical Garden | Atlanta, Ga | November 13 – January 5
- Holiday Lights Safari | 2325 Hampton Road, Hampton, SC | Fridays & Saturdays beginning November 20
- Christmas At The Goff’s | 2035 Starr’s Bridge Road, Canon, Ga | Beginning November 26th
- Anderson Christmas Lights | Old Country Farm Circle, Anderson, SC | Thanksgiving – Christmas
Visit A Christmas Tree Farm
Whether you’re a fan of live Christmas trees or not, visiting a tree farm should definitely be on your Christmas bucket list. Even if you’re not going to pull a Clark Griswold, you can bring home some wreaths and other festive home decor. Take the opportunity to get some family photos as well!
- Callaway Christmas Trees | Hartwell, Ga | Opens November 25th
- Beck’s Christmas Tree Farm | Bowersville, Ga | Opens November
- Merry Christmas Tree Farm | Central, SC | Opens November 25th
- Friendship Valley Christmas Tree Farm | Seneca, SC | Opens November 25th
Go To A Tree Lighting
One of the most spectacular sights at Christmas-time is to witness the lighting of a gigantic Christmas tree. While we can’t compete with the tree at Rocketfeller, you can still enjoy the beauty and festivities of a tree lighting at some of our local towns.
- Christmas Tree Lighting and Santa’s Village | Hartwell, Ga | November 22
- Tree Lighting On The Square | Pendleton, SC | November 29
- Christmas Tree Lighting at the Gazebo | Lavonia, Ga | November 30
- Christmas Fest | Toccoa, Ga | December 3
Young and old alike are delighted to speak to the man with the bag. Take the kids to one of these events with Santa and make some memories!
- Christmas Festival | Lavonia, Ga | November 30
- Bass Pro Shop | Lawrenceville, Ga | Starting November 6 – December 24
- North Pole Adventure at the Children’s Museum | Greenville, Ga | December 11
- Breakfast with Santa at the Best Western | Clemson, Sc | December 4
See a show
You might be surprised to find out that there are plenty of Christmas-y shows happening around Lake Hartwell this time of year. From Christmas plays to the classic Nutcracker ballet, don’t miss these holiday shows near Lake Hartwell.
- Blue Christmas with Stewart Chapman – Elvis Experience | Hartwell, Ga | December 4 – 5
- The Nutcracker at The Peace Center | Greenville, SC | December 3-5
- Cowboy Christmas Celebration | Pendleton, SC | December 18
It’s not as commonly done as it used to be, but it is always a fun time. Gather with friends and family for some good old fashioned carol singing. Hopefully, you’ll even get some figgy pudding out of the deal! If you’re not sure your neighbors will welcome your vocal stylings, here are some Christmas activities that include caroling.
- Toccoa Christmas Fest | Toccoa, Ga | December 3
Take a train ride
If Polar Express is one of your must-watch movies every Christmas, then taking a train ride is an absolute must for your Christmas bucket list. Sure you’ll have to drive a ways to get a real holiday experience, but it’s sure to make memories that will last a lifetime.
- Santa Express on Blue Ridge Scenic Railway | Blue Ridge, Ga | November – December
- Sing-Along Christmas Train at Stone Mountain Park | Stone Mountain, Ga | Begins November 13th – January 2
- Holiday Ride On Train at Atlanta Botanical Gardens | Atlanta, Ga | Saturday/Sunday November 14 – January 2
Play in the snow
Okay, we know what you’re thinking, Lake Hartwell doesn’t get a lot of snow! It’s true, but did you know that you can still go sledding and ice skating not too far from the lake? Here are some snow and ice rinks near the lake.
- Snow Mountain | Enjoy epic snow tubing at Stone Mountain Park | Stone Mountain, Ga | Cancelled for 2021
- Ice On Main | Seasonal outdoor ice skating in downtown Greenville | Greenville, Sc | November 12 – January 17
- Athens On Ice | Indoor ice skating at the Classic Center | Athens, Ga | Opens November 26
When you’re looking for Christmas gifts, make sure to support local businesses around Lake Hartwell. There are plenty of towns with unique and wonderful shops around the lake. For stores near you, visit the links below.
Have you crossed any of these off your Christmas Bucket List?
If you’ve been to one of these events or something else near the lake, we’d love to hear about it. Share your experience in the comments below!